Before any team starts a season, there is always a handful of questions to answer. How will the…
Preseason Preview: Texans at Chiefs
Arrowhead Stadium: 7:00 CST
Kickoff Temperature: 80 degrees, 40% chance of precipitation
Five most important things for the Texans:
1. Stay healthy. With Jacques Reeves, Chris Myers, and Brian Cushing all banged up, the last thing the Texans need is another injury.
2. Run the football. Houston has a very good passing attack, but they still need to prove that they can run the ball successfully, especially in short yardage situations.
3. Show some pass rush. The starters likely won't be in for long, but it would be nice if they showed an ability to get to the quarterback, as much of the Texans offseason was dedicated to getting to the passer.
4. Production from one of the backup QB's. Gary Kubiak claims that Dan Orlovsky is the number two quarterback, but it's doubtful that Rex Grossman is just going to accept that. There is a full competition for the backup quarterback job behind Matt Schaub.
5. Solid play from the secondary. With Dunta Robinson MIA and Jacques Reeves hurt, Houston needs Fred Bennett and the rookies to play well.
Players to keep an eye on:
1. Antonio Smith - let's see how the Texans prized free agent acquisition does in his first real game action as a Texan.
2. Connor Barwin - Barwin will be the highest draft pick playing for Houston and he's looked good in camp. Let's see how those skills translate to game action.
3. Dan Orlovsky / Rex Grossman - Matt Schaub has never stayed healthy for a full 16. It's likely that one of these guys will see real game action.
4. Zac Diles - Can last season's surprise come back and play up to the level he showed a season ago before his broken leg?
5. Duane Brown - Has he improved in year two? The Texans will need him to be solid if Schaub and the offense will keep rolling.
StateoftheTexans.com Recommended Stories
Texans All-22: The Offense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans offense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Texans All-22: The Defense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans defense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Digging Deep: The Texans Pass Rush
A closer look at the Houston Texans pass rush through six games.Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Waiver Wire Wednesday
Dr. Roto believes Miami Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry will overtake WR Brian Hartline as the team's No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later. Stay ahead of the curve with Dr. Roto!Read More
Giants Strike First In Game One Rout
The San Francisco Giants came out swinging in Game One of the 2014 World Series, scoring three times in the first inning and never looking back.Read More