Coach Kubiak (Getty Images)
Despite a rough start to Texans training camp, which included contract issues, fights, and major injuries to starters, Houston is seemingly righting the ship. The Texans defense looked great in Saturday's 16-10 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs, and quarterback Matt Schaub was flawless.
- Ryan Moats has begun to make a name for himself, not just for his unfortunate offseason incident. Moats looked explosive and powerful in Saturday's game, and could secure himself a roster spot if his great play continues.
- The Texans young corners, Brice McCain and Glover Quinn, have been potentially playing above their heads; So much so, that they've caught the eye of head coach Gary Kubiak who stated, "Both played pretty darn good the other night, not only for defense but for (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) also. They're making progress. They'll see as good a passing game as there is in the NFL (this week), so another big test for them. But they're being asked to play like veterans real fast, so opportunity for them but they've both been pretty good."
- Houston has installed some wildcat looks in practice. It's uncertain whether they will use the formations on offense, as it is seemingly to show the defense what they may have to face as they will go up against wildcat teams in the regular season, including the Miami Dolphins.
- With the injury to Rex Grossman, the Texans brought back quarterback Alex Brink. Brink claims to have been working out, and he should get plenty of fourth quarter reps in the team's remaining preseason contests.
- The team is practicing with the New Orleans Saints, something that most teams have gone away from in recent seasons, due to an increased likelihood of fights and another set of eyes on the team's plays. Gary Kubiak thinks that the increased intensity is a good thing.
"Well, I think it helps pick things up," Kubiak said. "Training camp gets a bit monotonous at this time of year. They're tired of each other, tired of beating on each other, so you get a new face, go cover a new guy, work against a new guy. I think it's just good for your skill level, and just bringing competes to practice. I think it'll be good, we just got to do it the right way and make sure we're all standing upright for Saturday."
Houston will take on New Orleans this Saturday night.
Check out the new Houston Texans App for the iPhone. More information on iTunes or CLICK HERE