Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning set the NFL mark for career touchdown passes in Week 7; however,…
Texans Game Preview- Bucs
Friday, September 4th, 6:00 p.m. (CST)
The Houston Texans will finish up their preseason with a trip to steamy Tampa Bay. Houston is trying to end a two-game losing streak, but more importantly find out who is going to round out their 53-man roster.
Five most important things for the Texans:
1. Stop the run. We mean it this time. The Texans have been gashed by New Orleans and Minnesota in consecutive weeks, and they need to get physical against a solid Tampa rushing attack.
2. Protect the quarterback. The Texans had a scare on Monday night as Matt Schaub limped off with an ankle injury. Schaub likely won't play much, if at all, but the team needs to protect whoever else lines up behind center.
3. Less turnovers. Houston threw a pair of interceptions Monday night, and turnovers were a problem with the team all of last season. Even though the backups may be playing, it's still a good time to protect the football.
4. Tackle better. Houston missed numerous tackles Monday night, and that type of defensive play is what kept them ranked in the 20's a year ago.
5. Win the line of scrimmage. It's time to win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Coach Kubiak and many of the players have talked about getting more physical, it'd be a good thing to actually show it on the field of play before the games start counting.
Players to keep an eye on:
1. James Casey- The former Rice star is going to get a lot of playing time at many different positions Friday night. Let's see how explosive he can be.
2. Rex Grossman- Initially ruled as a 4-5 week injury, Grossman will be returning to the field in about three weeks. Dan Orlovsky has been named the backup, but he hasn't been overwhelmingly successful not only in his career, but this preseason.
3. DelJuan Robinson- Robinson is looking to secure a roster spot and he had a very nice game Monday night. Can he keep it up in extended minutes?
4. Brice McCain- McCain could see extended action during the season, especially if Dunta Robinson doesn't come to his senses soon. He was solid on Monday, let's see if it can continue.
5. Andre Davis- It's no lock that Davis will make the team, and he should play well against a poor Tampa secondary.
StateoftheTexans.com Recommended Stories
Texans All-22: The Offense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans offense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Texans All-22: The Defense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans defense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Digging Deep: The Texans Pass Rush
A closer look at the Houston Texans pass rush through six games.Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Waiver Wire Wednesday
Dr. Roto believes Miami Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry will overtake WR Brian Hartline as the team's No. 2 receiver sooner rather than later. Stay ahead of the curve with Dr. Roto!Read More
Giants Strike First In Game One Rout
The San Francisco Giants came out swinging in Game One of the 2014 World Series, scoring three times in the first inning and never looking back.Read More