It's Battle Red Day, and the Texans have once again scheduled the Jacksonville Jaguars. …
Texans: What We Learned Against Jacksonville
1. Stop the run (this time we mean it). Jacksonville ran for 184 yards on 31 attempts, and Maurice Jones-Drew had 119 yards on 23 carries with three touchdown. It's safe to say objective number one failed.
2. Take advantage of the young tackles. The Jaguars offensive line did a great job of protecting David Garrard, as Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton were more than solid.
3. Keep contain on Garrard. The Jaguars quarterback got outside the tackle-box and ran for 30 yards on the team's opening possession which set up a field goal. Garrard then had a touchdown run from two yards as he was outside the pocket. Other than that, Houston did a solid job of keeping him in the pocket.
Three most important things for the Texans on offense:
1. Dink and dunk again. Nearly everything the Texans did on offense worked. The short and long passing games both were effective.
2. Get the tight ends involved. Owen Daniels caught five passes for 38 yards and a touchdown, and Joel Dreessen had a touchdown pass called back for interference.
3. Don't turn it over. Houston turned it over twice, and the last turnover as Chris Brown fumbled while entering the end zone ended up being the final nail in Houston's coffin.
What to look for:
1. Look for Maurice Jones-Drew to get over 100. The Jaguars dynamic back gained 119 and scored three times.
2. Look for Schaub to throw for nearly 300. Schaub threw for 300 yards and completed 26 of 35 passes. He torched the Jaguars defense.
3. Look for the Texans to register at least three sacks. The Jacksonville offensive line stonewalled Houston and gave David Garrard great protection all day long.
4. Look for Andre Johnson to have a rough day. It was rough because the Texans lost. Otherwise, Johnson caught four passes for 86 yards.
5. Look for a trick play. The closest thing to a trick play was the Jaguars fake reverse, quarterback keeper that gained 30 yards.
StateoftheTexans.com Recommended Stories
Texans All-22: The Offense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans offense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Texans All-22: The Defense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans defense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Digging Deep: The Texans Pass Rush
A closer look at the Houston Texans pass rush through six games.Read More
Dr. Roto Video: Visionary Sleepers
The Kansas City Chiefs aren't exactly known for their passing attack; however, Dr. Roto does have a man-crush on one KC receiver in Week 8. Dwayne Bowe (pictured above) has yet to score a touchdown or…Read More
NCAA Up Next
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — The Wainstein report released on Wednesday provided insight into the NCAA’s reopening of its infractions case at North Carolina this summer and also highlighted potential academic…Read More