CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- Get the inside info from the Navy Practice Fields on the developments of…
Texans: What We Learned Against Arizona
1. Pressure Kurt Warner / Jam the receivers. The Texans really weren't able to rattle Warner much, as they registered just one sack and no other official quarterback hits. They did do a much better job on the Arizona receivers in the second half.
2. Tackle better. It was like two different games for the Texans defense as they played horribly in the first half, then fantastic in the second half.
3. Force some turnovers. The Texans forced one turnover early on.
Three most important things for the Texans on offense:
1. No turnovers. The one Houston turnover was a killer, as Matt Schaub threw a pick-six to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie which was the winning score for the Cardinals.
2. Exploit the middle. Houston found great success in the second half throwing to the middle of the football field.
3. Throw to run. Matt Schaub had great success through the air, as he completed 35 of 50 passes for 371 yards, but the team couldn't get any kind of ground game going as they rushed for just 45 yards on 21 carries.
What to look for:
1. Look for four or more turnovers. Only two turnovers on this day, but the one by the Texans was the ultimate dagger.
2. Look for Larry Fitzgerald to have a huge day. The Pro Bowl MVP caught five passes for 79 yards and two touchdowns.
3. No fumbles by Slaton. Slaton took better care of the ball, as he ran for 39 yards on 13 carries, and caught six passes for 59 yards.
4. Big play by special teams. Jacoby Jones returned a punt 62 yards, and Andre Davis took back a kickoff 63 yards.
5. Look for Kurt Warner to go over 300. Kurt Warner was fantastic in the first half, and he finished by completing 26 of his 38 throws for 302 yards, and two touchdowns for a QB rating of 109.8.
StateoftheTexans.com Recommended Stories
Texans All-22: The Offense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans offense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Texans All-22: The Defense vs. the Colts
An All-22 look at the Houston Texans defense against the Indianapolis Colts.Read More
Digging Deep: The Texans Pass Rush
A closer look at the Houston Texans pass rush through six games.Read More
Thursday night throwing fest on deck?
The Thursday night showdown between the Broncos and Chargers at Mile High Stadium (sponsorship withstanding) could see passing yardage a half mile long. Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers are at the top…Read More
Week 8: Fantasy Football Sit 'em
Every week, Fantasy Football Expert Rob Warner recommends a handful of players who should ride the pine. It may be because of a bad matchup, lost playing time, a nagging injury or an overwhelming…Read More